Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Help.

I first heard about "The Help" on the Amazon website while looking for some new books to read and purchase for my Kindle. Upon reading the description, I did not really like it. It seemed like a slow story for women readers, and when it comes to books, I am more of an action, tears, violent reader. Although this is hard to admit, because no girl wants to have this manly side - hehehe. Anyway, while going to the movies to watch Harry Potter, I came across a poster for a movie inspired on this novel. I had no idea they were making a movie out of it, and after this incident, I saw many previews on television for it. These along with my girlfriend Anto, who told me she was reading it and it was really good, encouraged me to finally purchase "The Help". I can finally say that I am so glad I made that decision because this novel quickly went to my list of best books I have ever read. This story was just as I predicted, but it was entertaining, funny, and touching, at the same time. This novel tells the story of 3 characters: Skeeter, who is a white recent graduate young woman who dreams to be a writer. Minny, an African-American maid with a big mouth and feisty personality. And Aibileen, also an African-American maid, who raises white children and has recently lost her son. These three women come together to tell us their tales and explain the life of house maids in the 1960's in Jackson, Mississippi. I would definitely recommend this book, and I cannot wait to watch the movie, which comes out today. However, I do not have too many hopes, since movies always seem to disappoint, but the book was so great that it does not really matter to me if the movie will stay up to standards. This novel leaves you wondering how painful life must have been for the African-American people back in the day. It is hard to read some parts, but in the end, it is all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment